Friday, June 26, 2015

Shawl wool

I finished the last color for the shawl and scarf (wedding presents) today.  I've been dyeing one color a day so that I can also get other chores done.  Today was typical:

Get up at 4:15 and make breakfast for Anne and I before Anne heads off to work - today is an early shift.  The put the wool skeins in to soak for an hour and prepare the dye bath (Dharma Acid Dyes).  Once the hour is up transfer the wool to the dye pot - on the barbeque on the porch as it's a lot cooler out there than running the stove inside.  Bring the dye up to temperature and add the citric acid.  Hold the temperature for 30 minutes and turn off burner.  Head up to water our top garden - it has been 14 days since we had any decent rain here in SE Tennessee.  The two rain events combined didn't even fill up our first rain barrel.  Once finished that (about an hour, it's a large garden!!) wash (Dharma Professional Textile Detergent)and rinse the wool then hang to dry.  Then it was time to water the house garden and pick some blackberries.  Now with a coffee it's time for the blog.

4 colors for the Shawl and Scarf.
The color is all in the warp with a plain white weft and an advancing twill pattern.  Designed on my WeaveDesign software to ensure I had the right balance and yarn amounts for the warp stripes it won't be until I start weaving that I will see if the colours actually work as planned.  Dharma documentation suggest the colours will be darker on wool I don't think they could be more vibrant.

It will be a final check tonight to make sure I have everything packed up for the class tomorrow and an early start to be there by 8:30.  More to follow on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment