Thursday, October 4, 2012

Selvedge Theory

Well into the alpaca scarf #1 and I've really been struggling to keep a neat selvedge on one side (sometimes both sides).  My normal approach of a double floating selvedge yarn under tension just isn't doing it.  As it turns out I'm pretty sure I know why - and what the solution is.
Close up of left selvedge

Both selvedges (and broken threads woven back in)
First off I didn't start with a temple (this is my 'chain' temple with weights on either side in these pictures), so of course there was an expected draw in. In this case the 'in reed' width was 10" and the drawn in width was 9.25"  I thought that seemed reasonable.  But it is home spun 2 ply...  with the draw in and the extra 'stretch' as the outer (including the double selvedge) threads were pushed out as the weft was beaten into place meant the 6 or so warp yarns on the outside were slowly stretched. My hand spun is strong, but will eventually pull apart if you give it lots of little repetative stretches. The obvious factor should have been that I've broken quite a few of the same outer warps threads since I started and NONE of the inner warp at all.  The stretching made it looser and consequently make it very hard to maintain a straight selvedge.

The latter use of the chain temple, and careful throwing of the weft have kept it (barely) under control.  The obvious fix is to use a proper temple set at the correct (10") width when I start the next scarf.  That will remove the extra stretching pressure on the selvedge and hopefully lead to an even edge.  The draw in will happen after the temple.

I have about 15" to finish this scarf which will now become a gift or a keeper, before I try out the 'fix' above.

Who knows....



No comments:

Post a Comment