Friday, October 26, 2012

Return from New York

We survived New York (the city may never sleep, but I needed to after the first couple of days :-) - had a great time up there for 4 days.  No textile connections barring a close study of some excellent clothing and rug examples in the National Museum of the American Indian.

So getting busy again I've discovered that my efforts at preparing wool fall far behind Anne's.  She is churning through washed locks - flicking them open ready for drum carding and can sit and watch TV and create a pile. In the time it took her to do [lots - not sure of weight etc] I was able to only comb and diz two insignificant balls of roving top.
Anne's to the left, mine to the right (actually only one ball at that time!!)
After that discouraging start: luckily a distraction.  As I had decided to liven up the final scarf with some stripes - I sent off for some more alpaca roving.  Linda at Crooked Fence Alpacas via Etsy was very helpful and quick and I now have two 8oz lots of roving ready to spin.  And it is superb - grade 1 and 2 (it's the micron count - I had to ask), and so so soft, and clean.  It spins like a dream so it won't be any time at all before I have some more two ply skeins to start weaving on scarf number three (it will be the white/cream and chocolate from Crooked Fence and the remainder of the coffee colour from NZ as weft stripes - I haven't quite worked out a sequence yet, but will)
The two colours from Crooked Fence - spinning already.

Close up of the alpaca singles

Clun Forest singles to compare
The two different singles look the same - there's no comparison in the feel.  The alpaca is very very soft and silky to the touch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment