Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Sectional beaming

During my first attempt at sectional beaming I had difficulty controlling the 48 warp ends coming from the tension box through the mini-reed to the beam.  As at 24 epi (48 ends in the 2 inch section) the outside ends wanted to slip outside the section by sliding down the wrong side of the metal peg.  I had to guide the threads in with my finger and thumb and while that worked fine for this particular project it would be quite a challenge for something wider (up to the full 56" width of the loom).

The solution was to fit some loops of rubber hose from one section peg to the next on either side of the section I was filling.  Not a new idea - I have seen this in documentation before and should really have done it for the first attempt.  The warp ends are naturally guided into the appropriate section and are then moved to the next section to wind it.

Modification number 1
The hose is re-purposed irrigation hose and fits perfectly onto the metal pegs. Conveniently they also fit on 'PT' which has 1.5 inch sections and slightly thinner pegs.

As with the first time I put 5 yards of linen onto the loom - in half the time it used to take winding on a warping frame and without a single tangle!  That's definitely a plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment