Monday, September 26, 2016

Townsend Blue Ribbon Festival

For the second time I was invited to demonstrate weaving at the Blue Ribbon Festival in Townsend, TN and I have now been demonstrating in Townsend for over two years at this, and other festivals connected with the Townsend Artisan Guild (TAG).  My connection with the Guild is through the Scenic Valley Handspinners where several members of that are from Townsend.

The Festival is held at the Great Smokey Mountain Heritage Center and is part of a very large Heritage Festival held in Townsend at this time every year.  One downside to that was finding our normal campground fully booked. This year Anne and I travelled up on Friday and returned on Sunday.  Last year I drove up and back on the same day.  Not being able to book into the Lazy-Daze campground turned out to be a blessing as we discovered the KOA campground down the road is, while a little more expensive, much nicer in almost every aspect.

We picked up the TAG Harrisville Design loom - a four shaft transportable jack loom they had received through a donation - on Friday night which made setting up on Saturday a little more leisurely.  Friday night dinner - after setting up the tent and a swim in the campground pool - was at the Mexican restaurant we have been to before and always found to be good.

Setting up on Saturday took no time, after signing in as volunteers.  I was on the porch of the transport building - where I have been most other times. Along with the loom I had brought a folding table and a bag of other examples of weaving and spinning.  Most people who took the time to stop and talk also had a look through the items and liked the variety.
Loom set up in my normal spot. Twill striped demo continues.

There was a steady flow from opening at 10:00 through to 3:45 when we finally packed up.  Anne helped out setting up and with a few other things through the day and was also able to jump on the shuttle and head down to the main site down at the Visitor Center.  She also picked a few things here and there, both free and paid for.


Action shots of weaving on the porch!  Tractors and way in the distance - a cow form part of the backdrop.  The exhibit next to me (inside) was 'Pick Tennessee' - featuring only products produced in TN.

During the day, chatting with the TAG members, I decided to join this guild (finally - I first thought I might about a year ago, but didn't get around to it!).  It is a juried entry system - the artist must submit 3 recent works for each category which are put before a panel of 4 TAG jury members, with experience in the fields they are judging.  I'm submitting in Natural Fibers, and Painting and have been working out what items to submit for the jury process which is the second or third week of next month.  I think I have enough pieces finished to submit.

No comments:

Post a Comment