Sunday, October 11, 2015

Loom modification

While working away at various pieces of the loom restoration I had noted that the top front bar on the castle showed marks most likely caused by Scotch tape - used to hold instructions/guides to the weaving.  I (on my Macomber) typically put the instruction for the treadling sequence there - but just folded so that it hooks over the wooden bar.  That solution works fine until I turn a fan on if it is too hot - it typically blows my notes away.  Options then include clipping it on, or balancing something heavy across the castle on top of it.  It has always been in the back of my mind to find a solution.

All the wood on the restoration loom is being sanded down and refinished so I wasn't worried about the marks, but decided to use that loom to try an idea.

Castle bar with Scotch tape marks
The first thing I did was drill holes from the back (using a stop) through to within 1/8" of the front surface.

3 holes drilled from back of bar.
The I glued a super strong neodymium magnet into each hole.  I had the magnets for other project work

Magnets in place
It's then a simple case of using decorative magnets (or simply more neodymium magnets) to afix notes/guidance/instruction to the front of the bar.

Finished modification
In the picture above only the cross bar has been sanded and finished - the difference between it and the rest of the castle can be seen and is much more obvious in brighter light.  This works really well so I will be modifying both the Macomber and the Leclerc next.

No comments:

Post a Comment