Thursday, October 15, 2015

Llama order

We finished the brown/black portion of the llama fleece a little while back  The final part was to give it a final wash to remove any remaining dust/dirt and set the yarn.  It turned out to be a little over a pound of yarn in 8 skeins.

Llama yarn after final wash
I'm awaiting word back from the owner before dropping off these skeins.  We still have the other 'half' - the white/cream part of the fleece which is a slightly larger amount, so I'm expecting 10 skeins.  Anne does a lot of the picking where we thoroughly remove all visible VM and guard hairs. We are left with a big box of fluffy wool which goes through the drum carder in 1 oz lots.  I have found that once through is enough with this wool then I use a diz and remove it directly from the large drum as roving.  I then pre-draft that roving to give me a perfect spinning diameter roving.

Llama roving ready to spin.
The 1 oz limit is a comfortable amount for the carder - it can hold 2 oz of fibre but at the 1 oz mark I can spin that roving onto one bobbin, spin another, and the result when plied is a 2 oz skein regardless of the thickness of the singles I spin.  This white batch I am spinning a little thicker. It is quicker and also will give the owner another type of wool to sell as up until now most has been spun at fingering or fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment