Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Loom restoration

As previously mentioned I'm now in the loom restoration business.  The Townsend Artisan Guild had been given a couple of looms, one of which was in pieces after a considerable time in storage.  I was first asked to have a look at it some months back but it wasn't until I was in Townsend to help out at the Blue Ribbon Country Fair over the weekend that I was able to do this.

The loom can be restored without too much difficulty - it's only missing minor parts, and has a small amount of damage and wear and tear.  It's a 36" (maybe nearer to 39") 4 shaft jack loom that appears to be home made with commercial heddle frames/heddles so it may have been a kit or a loom to build at home from commercial plans.  I initially thought 1960's or thereabouts, but the reeds come from a company that may not have been around then as it traded much earlier than that, so it could be anywhere from 30's through 50's.  I'll be trying to get some more of the back story to complete that part of the puzzle.

All the pieces.
The first task after unpacking here in the valley has been to identify, measure, photograph and document each part.  This is the only way I can assess how much work will be required and thus give a fair quote, and also identify what is missing and will need to be purchased to identify to the guild approximately how much the 'and parts' segment of the quote will be.

The parts that are missing are mainly nuts, bolts, and screws.  The wire heddles and tie-up chains will need replacing entirely, but they are available and come relatively cheaply.  I will need to fiddle with the warp beam ratchet release as it is not obvious where it was fitted previously, but the solution may be to replace it entirely with a friction brake.

I said after restoration I would weave something on it as a test, so after doing that I may make further recommendations that might help make the old loom better but keep it in character.

The bulk of my work will be sanding down the old wood and then refinishing in something appropriate.  The guild is happy for me to take my time which pleases me as I would like to ensure I do a thorough job getting this loom back to working order.

No comments:

Post a Comment