Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Dressing the loom

The final work of the day yesterday was to start the baby blanket (a gift for a baby due near the end of June). This is a Yarn Barn of Kansas kit using washable acrylic/wool/nylon blend that features a twisted fringe all the way around - a first attempt at this for me.

Before starting this and included in the chores for the day were bake bread and transfer the conditioned beer to a keg.  Both done and for the bread I did two recipes - my standard loaf incorporating the left over grain from brewing and for the first time an Italian olive bread.

Italian olive bread fresh from the oven.
The warp for the blanket has been done for a month and hanging over the loom, so it was definitely time to start on it.  It's not a long warp so the spreading out through the raddle went pretty smoothly.

Beginning to spread warp.
The raddle is borrowed from the upright loom - my normal one wasn't quite wide enough so will have to look into building one for the full 56" Macomber.

Fully spread, showing the shades of grey.
Eventually finished - and in the little weaving room (the one bedroom in the house without a ceiling fan) the slight haze in the photo, I'm sure, is the fug from me sweating so much! Or perhaps the funny colour from the bright lamp I use at the back of the loom?  Tonight I will lash it on to the back beam and wind it on ready to thread the heddles (easy job - it is just a tabby), and sley the reed. My stainless steel reed is a 12 dent and I don't have a large 10 dent (for the 10 epi).  I will have to clean my 8 dent reed and sley 1-1-1-2.

No comments:

Post a Comment