Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Comfortable weaving

Another part 'missing' from the Macomber was a foot rail - a length of wood that runs across the front of the loom, just in front of the treadles, and allow the weaver to rest one or the other foot on it while not actually pushing down on a treadle.

The loom itself is, I believe, made of maple, so I will eventually get a piece of maple cut to size and length but in the meantime we were in a hardware store getting some chain (to make part of a 'temple' - that'll be a blog entry once I get weaving), so I checked to see if there was any suitable lumber to make into a foot rail.  Sure enough there was a length of pine (fairly knotty), that would do.

I had to cut some slots to make it fit into the slightly smaller 'rail holders' but that didn't take long.  A quick sand and then coat of wax and it is good to go.

'New' footrail - not quite matching the 'age' of the loom

No comments:

Post a Comment