Friday, September 2, 2011

All the same and something different

Still spinning - and now very close to the first milestone 'amount' - sufficient so that the process of dyeing the two indigo shades can begin. (The three gallon dye pot has been purchased, and I am researching the best method of heating - think home brew sort of thing).  The dye kit that looks like it will do the job is from Aurora Silk who market only natural dyes.

But as the process continues I've taken the following three photo's - and ask: what do they have in common - scroll down to find out...




Batt, sliver/roving, bobbin of singles, and they are all the same amount of wool

And for the something different:
Natural cotton and spun two ply thread.
I picked up these natural cotton bolls at our last Thursday night session and had forgotten completely about it until I discovered them in the dryer (they were still in my shirt pocket).  They didn't seem to suffer at all, so I decided to have a quick go at spinning directly from the boll.  It can be done, but is probably not the easiest process, and won't be on my to-do list for a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment