Friday, September 16, 2011

Boxed In

More recognisable in a home brewer's workshop (I used to do this) than perhaps a spinners - I've been building a heat box over the last couple of nights.

As mentioned previously - for CF project #1 I'll be using indigo dye - and the (traditional) preparation of the dye is to ferment it.  More on the details of this in the next blog, but to create the 'perfect' temperature you need to keep the dye pot at a constant temperature (just as for brewing) for about a week.

Luckily I had a convenient box to modify and purchased the 'heater' and gauge at the local K-Mart.

The box is fully lined with foil (glued on) and I've reinforced the edges inside and out with duct tape.  I modified the top so that it will allow the hanging of a light bulb and you can still open or close a flap to allow some control of the temperature if needed.

First trials went well - the goal temperature to keep the indigo fermenting/ready is 100-120 and in the two hours I had the lamp running the box (bottom) internal temperature was at 100, with a 60 Watt light bulb and the flaps loosely closed.  I suspect I can block off the top seams and gain a little more to put it exactly in the middle of the range.

The high tech part is the thermometer - I spent a huge $14 and bought an indoor/outdoor wireless one - so the 'outdoor' part sits in the box and the reader can be anywhere up to 100 feet away - works perfectly!

The heat box - 'plugged in'

Running - with one flap open

Coming up to temperature

No comments:

Post a Comment