Sunday, July 24, 2011

Shawl/Scarf

I think I may have mentioned this before - the eventual 'first' project from the CF wool will not be a shawl but rather a scarf.  The main reason for this is relatively simple - to weave a shawl requires a fairly wide loom, and mine is in storage in NZ - the only ones I can rent here in the US are table looms (or small portable looms) which generally only go to about 24" or less.

So on that basis I looked around for some decent/challenging pattern and something that I can also experiment with dying some of the wool.  I found in one of my twill pattern books a scarf with a block twill design (they call it 'glacier' and I've entered that into my computer programme and am playing around with colour schemes.

I've also done some quick calculations on how much wool I'll need (I'll check that again, and probably again to make sure) before proceeding to the dying and warping stage.

Rough notes for 'glacier' scarf

The two designs were to compare colour schemes - I like the one with white, it represents a strip (with two pattern repeats) across the scarf.

No comments:

Post a Comment