Saturday, January 14, 2017

4 Horse Blanket

Not a blanket big enough for 4 horses, but rather a throw for the artist who painted the picture "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" (Anne's younger brother Connell), in appropriate matching colors.

Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse - Connell Byrne
The first challenge was to match the colors which are much brighter in the original which hangs in Connell's living room in Baltimore.  The copy above from http://www.pbase.com/connellart doesn't nearly capture the mix of vivid colors. Luckily we had plenty of photo's to go by.  In the end we managed to find appropriate yarn at www.loveknitting.com.  To get the color range we went with an acrylic in DK weight. 

After some fiddling to sort out appropriate balances for stripe/background and color mixes we ordered the yarn and waited for the 7-10 days for delivery - they just made it.

Half the warp wound

Dressing back to front.
A day of preparation, winding the warp, and attaching it to the loom.  Everything went smoothly although as this is the widest project I have undertaken I had to borrow parts from the upright loom as most other accessories I have are 36" wide and this is 40".  I also found I had missed one green warp end. Far better at this stage than after starting to weave!

Ready to tie on
 No problems while threading heddles or sleying the reed and nothing complicated as it is 8 ends per inch in an 8 dent reed.

Weaving started.
Started weaving and so far it is going smoothly - I have some weighted floating selvedges on this to help avoid too much draw in (I don't hae a temple large enough).  It's a balanced weave so will go slowly at first to ensure my beating is appropriate, but it is the same as the last blanket I wove so I recall it isn't a heavy beat. 

I have a new shuttle for this project. The small plastic shuttles can be thrown across this width but they don't hold all that much yarn so I would be forever changing bobbins.  For this I have a new wooded 15" Leclerch boat shuttle and enough bobbins for the colors.  It seems to work pretty well. Photo's to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment