Sunday, December 30, 2012

Finished weaving

This morning I finished the final placemat (#9) and as has become the tradition, was handed a glass of wine to celebrate :-)
Finished weaving...
I remembered from the last placemats that the linen warp became increasingly difficult to make a shed - with a combination of the lack of stretch in the linen and the small amount of warp left.  While I couldn't solve the latter problem the 'sagging' of certain warp threads was solved by progressively moving the shafts up one link in the chain that supports them.  I started about 1/2 way through the placemat by raising #8 then each time I wound on I raised the next inwards (7 then 6 was enough to solve the problem).
 
Tomorrow I'll be sewing the ends before cutting them apart and hand hemming them.  Then they go in the wash, then freezer, then a good hard iron.  Hopefully they will turn out as soft and shiny as the first ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment