Sunday, September 16, 2012

Craft day

The morning started out with an effort to use up the left over liquid dye (from the linen dyeing). We had bought a couple of plain cotton pillow cases and decided to tie dye/paint them with the left over colours from the placemat project.  The dye has been in the fridge and this will be the test to see if it survived.  I started by soaking the pillow cases in water then in the solution needed to 'set' the dye.  Anne and Rachel then tied/knotted and painted them.

Painting on the dye

The craft (dining) table
Once they were finished and the pillow cases were wrapped and set aside (for 24 hours), I was able to clean up the table and start dressing the loom (Dorothy).  It all went pretty smoothly (with help).  I've found out Alpaca is a little more slippery than the wool or other yarn I've been using, but I've just about got the right tension going now and have woven a couple of test inches.

The first couple of inches 

This will be first of three scarves in this yarn/design and shouldn't take too long once I am back in the table loom rythm.


No comments:

Post a Comment