Friday, August 3, 2012

Placemat progress

I finished the first two placemats fairly quickly - it really only takes about an hour to complete one, but on each placemat I managed to 'skip' one or two weft shots and didn't notice for an inch or so (it typically off-sets the pattern by about a thread or two!). No choice but to 'un-weave' back to the mistake and then re-weave.  That added another 30 minutes each time.  I'm certainly learning to take more care to a) track the treadling a little more carefully and b) stop (when I do stop) at the same place in the pattern so I know where to start again.

Placemat #2
The thread in the photo is the end of 'fixing' a broken warp thread - the first time it has happened to me, but given that this is the first time I have woven with linen, not really surprising!  It will have to be sewn in and trimmed, but did work out painless in the end (after a little research).

I'm now just doing some stripes and awaiting the arrival of the rest of the linen so I can get stuck into the next 14! Current task is to finish the spinning of the Alpaca ready for the scarves on the Leclerc Dorothy.


No comments:

Post a Comment