Sunday, August 12, 2012

Piles of sliver

Back in the production mode today.  The next set of Right Side of the Bed Rugs that will go on the Macomber after I finish the placmats require about 500 yards of 2ply.  Allowing a little extra.  We did not have a figure when we started the first set, rather I just spun more wool when needed.  Now by counting back using the two completed rugs we can work it out a lot more precisely.

All up, to make the yarn, I need 6.0 oz of wool, so this morning I stretched out a number of batts into sliver ready to spin.
All 6.0 oz of sliver ready to spin

The advantage in making sliver is it removes almost every bit of left over vegetable matter that didn't come out in either the flick opening or the drum carding.  The picture looks like a lot of wool, but the bulk is ALL air.

I've also done all the calculations for the alpaca scarves - that will be in a later blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment