Sunday, July 8, 2012

Why I'm a weaver

I mentioned a while back that our third Thursday group had a night doing mainly woolen yarn.  I ended up making a small skein of three-ply woolen (with the plying taking care of the fairly inconsistent singles :-)

Diana from the group was interested in how it would knit as she is looking at doing some socks from Clun Forest if it looks like it would provide the right springiness/sturdiness/softness - if that is even possible?  So that left the challenge of knitting some of the CF 3ply woolen into a swatch that will hopefully demonstrate this...
2.5 inch swatch US#3 needles, stockinette
This tiny sample took me over an hour to knit (nearly two - I had to start 0ver once!). While for the weaving side of things yesterday I was happily weaving over 5 inches of scarf in 30 minutes and it is 8 inches wide (and comes out neatly!!)

Scarf #2 progress.
Each block has a four inch block of colour (they alternated after each stripe) then 1 inch of pink/blue between).  By swapping the colour blocks the twill pattern shows up clearly first on one side then on the other as the warp has half of each of the main colours.

Currently I'm just under half way through this scarf, with one more to go after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment