Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Spinning Alpaca

I'm taking a break from spinning Clun Forest for a while, and decided that I may as well spin the Alpaca roving I bought in Taupo over a year ago.  I have two lots; one from an alpaca named 'Chocolate' and one from 'Cairo'. Both lots are about 320g of wool.

I've been spinning a fairly lightweight 2-ply yarn which works out to about 50g per skein and about 170 yards in length, so it will make approx 12 skeins and about 2000 yards.  That should be at least two scarves (maybe 3 when I do the full maths).  I'm thinking of one as herringbone, and the other as a bird's eye (same tie up and threading - just different treadling on the loom).

3 skeins completed so far - and I'll be working at these for a while but as the next project on the loom is a roving rug, and then some linen place mats I have time.

Chocolate (center), and Cairo skeins

No comments:

Post a Comment