Saturday, February 25, 2012

New Project

We have a combined baby shower and housewarming to attend next month so I decided to weave a baby blanket as something a little out of the ordinary (they may get other blankets, but I'm guessing no other hand woven ones).

I took the easy option by ordering a 'kit' from Yarn Barn (see: www.yarnbarn-ks.com).  They supply the yarn, in this case 8/2 orlon (very washable), and the pattern/loom dressing instructions.

'The kit' as it arrived.
It took a day to wind the warp (684 ends) as per the instructions, and once I started dressing the loom I found only one wrong count, but it was easily fixed by balancing the other same colour stripes!

Warp on the frame - counting off the colours.

Putting it on the loom took a few nights (an hour at a time after work - the fiddly work/number of warp threads meant that was about all I could handle).  Then it was sleying the reed (two further sessions) and finally some weaving.

The first inch (light green) as a test
Now I can get stuck into the 'easier' part of weaving the 50" or so of blanket, then finishing.


No comments:

Post a Comment