Sunday, February 12, 2012

First knitting

A little while back I spun some 3-ply variegated wool from mixed batts of white, light blue, and dark blue - random amounts into each single and then the three together formed the 'mixed-up yarn.'

My last knitting experience would have been at about 9 or 10 (or maybe earlier?); taught by my mother who knitted constantly all her life.  Needless to say I didn't actually remember anything other that it took two needles and some wool!  Ignorance is bliss, so after a quick visit to an internet site to find out how to cast on/off and knit and purl I was away (I had a pair of needles that I had bought at an op shop to hold bobbins while winding singles of wool onto other reels).  Coincidentally they were about the right size for the guage of wool.

The test swatch
While not the neatest knitting - at least it proved that the wool can be knitted.  I think the slightly more 'relaxed' two ply that I am making should be even better. The next test will be with it, and will hopefully be less painful than this effort.  Then on to something practical - a hat perhaps?


No comments:

Post a Comment