Saturday, December 24, 2011

#1 Scarf

The first 'product' off the loom...
The merino/angora home spun/dyed/woven scarf
Great progress on this, the first of two on the loom at present.  The weaving was a breeze, although with a new loom, using new shuttles, hand spun wool which varied considerably in thickness, and the uncertainty of whether my calculations would work, there was a lot that could have gone wrong.

And I won't even mention the first attempt which was rough enough to demand 'unweaving' to start again once I had the hang of the loom.  Of all though, the biggest problem was the variable thickness of the yarn, which meant adjusting the weight when beating from heavy where the yarn was thicker to light where it was thinner - to keep a relatively even picks per inch.  This was entirely a spinning problem - this yarn was my first ever yarn so it varied considerably.  I think my CF spinning is a little more consistent.

I have enough warp on the loom for the second scarf - but I'll have to wait for the second 'batch' of indigo dyed merino/angora to arrive - Anne is dyeing it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment