Thursday, August 11, 2011

Interlude

Between CF skein #5 and #6 I decided to get another job out of the way that has been sitting waiting for attention.  Some months back a work acquaintance gave me some dog hair from his [very] mixed breed long hair dog that he had adopted while serving in Cyprus.  Already old when he moved down here from Canada - the dog didn't last. Luckily each time it had been brushed, the resultant hair went into a bag - that's what I ended up with (about a years worth of brushing).

I had heard that while reasonably fine - dog hair doesn't card well by itself, so I carded it 50/50 with some pure merino I had.  That seemed to work well and made a very nice soft batt (small).  I then quickly spun it into singles and plied it into two ply.  The result was 26 yards of nice lofty - slightly furry, and mildly coloured yarn.  Dog hair can 'shed' over time, but the addition of the merino may help thwart that - time will tell (although I have no idea what the owner wants to do with it - and it certainly won't make a 'whole' product.  Perhaps a 'feature' stripe in something though).
26 yards of 50/50 dog/merino

No comments:

Post a Comment