Thursday, October 12, 2017

Fall Fiber Work


 With the temperatures in the valley starting to finally slip down into a more comfortable range and even some rain, I've been able to get cracking on several projects.  The highest priority was to finish the weaving on the Guild 2018 challenge bag.  That took about half a day to finish. It would have been much quicker but I had to work around a couple of minor warp problems. 


Finished the weaving, with a celebratory glass of wine!
 Once cut off the loom I ran some machine stitching across the ends and wet finished it in warm water with a little detergent.  Rinsed a couple of times and then dried flat and ironed on a hot setting under a damp cloth.


Finished and ironed.
 I went out yesterday and picked up some iron on backing and some cotton lining.  Along with some cardboard and magnets I now have everything to put it all together.

In the mean time I finished the first skein of llama wool and washed the second batch.

Drying llama locks inside under a fan.
 Once dry it takes another hour to run the lot through the drum carder (in two lots of approximately 1 oz each).  I then diz it off the drum and I end up with very easy to spin roving.

Llama roving ready to spin.

When not working on either of the above I did find time to finish another fall colors dishtowel and start another - I think 3 to go to finish the warp.  And of course there was the outside work - three wheel barrow loads of wood cut up and split and now stacked and drying, and I dug out the silt and fallen leaves from the dam so that we can pump some water up to the hot tub and get it running again.

No comments:

Post a Comment