Sunday, November 8, 2015

Rug #1 "Kowhaiwhai"

I started weaving the first of the three rugs yesterday.  The wool was waiting for us on the front porch when we arrived home from our trip from North Carolina on Sunday.  Two day delivery from Yarn Barn of Kansas and the 10% discount negated delivery charges anyway.

Dressing 'Bernie' was pretty straight forward. I used some linen I had over from weaving place mats a couple of years back.  It makes a good strong warp that hopefully won't break on me.  It did have a fair old bit of twist in it, which once wound on through the cross/lease sticks needed constant untwisting as I dressed back to front - although in this case that is technically top to bottom.

Linen warp going on to Bernie
After spacing the yarn out I added a row of red and white twining before starting the first stripe which is a neutral silver.  I then tied on the cartoon design for the kowhaiwhai stripe and started with the black/red/white.

Pattern stripe appearing.
It will be slower than the plain stripes, but seems a little easier than the zig-zag pattern on Turquoise Lightning (where I used shuttles).  For this, as I have many color changes, I have butterflies of the appropriate yarn hanging ready for the next shot.  It will get a little more complicated, but as long as I maintain consistent 'rules' for the change of color cross-overs it should work out.  Time will tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment