Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Mug Rug/Coaster challenge 2

The Scenic Valley Handspinner challenge for October is another (in the series) mug rug/coaster.  This time it is to use complementary (from the color wheel) colors and weave with tabby and twill.

This morning I dragged out my large box of odds and ends of wool.  Most of it a legacy from my Father's weaving days when he would buy the leftover 'ends of line' balls of wool from my Mother's wool shop. I felt reasonably sure there would be something appropriate and was not disappointed.  I had to wind skeins to measure the lengths of the yarn I found and it turned out to be 240 yards of both blue and organge.

The chosen yarns (colors didn't reproduce well)
The challenge calls for mixing tabby and twill which, of course, could be simple stripes.  I thought I would try something a little more complicated and put boxes of twill inside tabby surrounds.  Here's the computer simulation:

WeaveDesign simulation
The mix of twill and tabby will be interesting to see in the completed coaster, with the epi/ppi figures somewhere between a perfect twill and a perfect tabby.  More photo's as I warp and then dress the loom.

No comments:

Post a Comment