Monday, October 6, 2014

Rambouillet processing

Two wins at the guild meeting this weekend - I sold two Clun Forest batts to members to try out spinning the breed.  I could have sold more perhaps but left fairly early to go and pick up the Rambouillet wool which we agreed with the owner I would clean and card and rather than payment I would keep half the processed wool.

Once home we weighed it and there was 7.4 lbs (including bag) of raw wool, which I suspect will drop by quite a bit by the time we have picked over it, washed and then carded.

We decided to hand pick the raw wool to avoid having to wash any wool that wasn't going to contribute to the finished product.  Anne and I had a quick go this morning and produced the first 2 oz of picked wool which I then ran through a wash.

Raw wool bottom, locks ready for washing top.
The owner isn't in a great rush for the wool, but we are keen to press on and get it done.  Our plan is to sell our portion of the wool - probably as batts, although I could spin some as well.  The yarn if spun fine is often used on next to the skin garments as it is soft and has a good elasticity.

We agree with the owner that the Coopworth wasn't really worth processing.


No comments:

Post a Comment