Monday, September 29, 2014

Cushion weaving finished

Yesterday I removed the finished weaving from the loom and quickly finished both ends by stitching in the tabby weave.  While that worked perfectly it does indicate fairly conclusively that I really will need glasses fairly soon.
Finishing the ends
With the ends finished I threw the cloth in the washing machine with some other washing on a hot cycle.  It came out well but with a significant final shrinkage.  On the loom the warp was 21 inches wide through the reed, it drew in to about 20 1/4 inches at the fell line (using weighted hooks as my temple as I don't have a temple this wide), then once woven it drew in to 191/2 inches.  Off the loom the warp drew in to 19 1/2 inches from the woven 21 inches. So the final 17 x 17 squares I have show a total change with shrinkage of about 20%
Finished, washed squares read to be cut up.
The twill weave is not quite at 45 degrees so for the actual cushions I will change the sett from 21 back to 19 which should fix that.
Close up of the pattern.
Next job requires a sewing machine and some supplies (zips, foam). I didn't bring my sewing machine from NZ although I could have run it via my transformer which is plenty powerful enough, but decided to look into something over here.  Ideally we will find a second hand machine somewhere - something for basic sewing, and then look out for one later that can handle industrial/heavy duty sewing for the yurt project (some way of as yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment