Monday, April 22, 2013

Guild project

I started tonight on my part of the next weaving guild group project - some cotton towels in various twill designs from an old 1926 handbook by Edward Worst.  Starting with an 8 shaft threading in a point twill style and then varying the tie-up and the treadling there are a large number of possible variations.

Some variations of the twill.
The maths carried out at the meeting worked out at a length of 9 yards and 3 inches (there will be a metric conversion for that, but it's been a while!!), and with two selvedge threads either side and an even number of pattern repeats works out to 331 ends, although like every time I do this I will do one more check that everything works out right before I begin the actual warping.

Warp length marked out.
I finished the skein of Clun Forest 3-ply last night - it is a very fine wool - at around 18 wraps per inch, I ended up with a 182 yards and just under 2 oz. It looks fairly even so I think with a few more skeins I will have enough to try some dyeing and then weave up some sample tartan cloth - perhaps cushion covers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment