Sunday, February 17, 2013

Final spinning

I had carded a 'blend' of Clun Forest, some brown Corriedale - with the resulting batts having some all white, some all brown, and some completely blended - in layers.

Part of a batt
Spinning from the mixed batt give some random stripes/bands of the three colours in varying degrees by just spinning as normal for these batts (short forward draw).

Half a bobbin of singles - random striping
Then for the first time I have tried chain plying (also known as Navajo plying).  Having heard about this technique for some time I was keen to try it out and see what it would do with this 'random' yarn.  I do have some books with 'how to' but of course, they are all packed.  Thank goodness for the internet.  I found a very useful and straight forward example of how to do this at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmlwtojLXI8
It seemed straight forward and indeed that was the case - so I am now half way through the 2oz bobbin of yarn I intend to make.

3 ply
The brown colour is not coming out particularly well in the photo's - just my camera. The yarn is a very nice 'warm' variegated brown that should work for a hat or gloves perhaps?

This will be the last spinning before the wheel heads off to storage - some time later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment