Monday, October 3, 2011

Future Looming

Another step for the CF#1 project.  I was going to have to hire a loom (with at least 8 heddles) to complete the required block twill woven scarves.  However, in what can only be described as a whole raft of coincidences I now have a Macomber 56# 8H loom all of my own.

To cut the lengthy story back:  The loom was noticed on Craig's list by someone from the Guild.  I sent an email off, but missed out, but was pleasantly surprised to see it advertised on the Guild mailing list by a member who had actually gone to the trouble to get it, to then re-offer it to guild members - still at the original 'free to be taken away' price!

With a bit of logistical work, disassembling, hired vans, muscle power, and schedule juggling, I was able to move the loom from Silver Spring to my apartment where it is now set up in my spare room ready for some serious cleaning.

Front view

Quarter view
The loom is missing the reeds (very easily ordered from many suppliers), a heel/foot bar - fits into that funny pronged black bracket in the second photo bottom right, and one small fitting to hold the beater frame.  There was a very good series of postings to a weaving blog about the restoration of a similar loom which have given me most of the tips I will need to get this loom back up and running.

By the time I order and receive the parts, finish the cleaning and re-fitting, I'll have all the wool spun and dyed, so it is looking good to have the project done by Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment