Sunday, June 5, 2011

Washing day

The process of scouring the wool is not a particularly fast one, and based on some very rough calculations - the amount of wool I have at the moment, if I were to do one wash a night (which I tried last week), would take me just on a year to completely wash all the fleeces.

Sounds fairly grim, but that is one wash a day and it really only takes 1 hour to to that wash start to end. So... based on [once again very rough] calculations; I could do 6-8 washes a day which would complete a fleece in a weekend.  Much better sounding.

Today is a test of that process - I'm onto wash number 3 - I think the difficulty is my 'drying rack' may fill up before I finish the washes for the day.

The reason for the 'roughness' in the calculations is that while I might start with a whole fleece I am NOT washing anything that I won't spin, so short locks go out in the rubbish as I go.  A lot of the wool has locks less than 2.5 inches which can be prepared for woolen spinning, but I'm been fussy given I have so much to select from :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment