Thursday, May 5, 2011

Clun Forest sheep

A friend at the Embassy has a friend who has a farm in Virginia where Clun Forest sheep are raised (for the meat). The breed is a little less common in the US, but popular nevertheless because of the quality of the meat - but they are also known to produce good wool for spinning.  Last year at the farm they were unable to find anyone to take the wool away after the spring shear, and ended up digging a hole and burying it.  When I heard that story, I suggested I could take some of it of the farmers hand to try my had at preparation of wool right through to production of yarn  - then logically weave it into some practical cloth.

Some research later and things looked quite good, so when I was told that the wool was 'ready' and I could have all 33 fleeces - I was caught a little unprepared.  Nevertheless it was worth an attempt as it effectively cost nothing - so if all failed it could be dumped without too much trouble.


This blog will document my efforts at converting wool straight off the sheeps back, into some form of usable yarn/cloth.  33 fleeces, it's going to take some time.

If you are interested in a little background on the breed go to: http://www.clunforestsheep.org/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment